SE Bikes was founded at the same time that BMX bikes were just starting to take off. That was in 1977 in California. Since then it has stayed true to its BMX roots, although today it also makes a range of other bikes, including beach cruisers, fitness bikes and mountain bikes.
The company was founded by Scot Breithaupt and started as Scot Enterprise before becoming SE Racing and SE Bikes. The first bike the company produced was the STR-1. Breithaupt was involved in BMX racing before he started the company, and that continued after SE Bikes was formed with the SE team. One of the most famous riders on that team down through the years also lent his name to a now-legendary bike. The rider was Perry Kramer, and the bike was the PK Ripper. It is still available today as the flagship model in the SE Bikes range.
Today SE Bikes are sold at dealers across the US, online, and via distributors around the world. They make high performance BMX bikes for serious racers as well as BMX bikes and other styles for riders of all abilities.
• Elite Race Series - this is the top level range from SE Bikes, designed for BMX bike racers. It includes the famous PK Ripper model in various guises (PK Ripper Elite, Ripper X, Ripper Jr, etc.) as well as the Floval Flyer 24.
• Mid-Level BMX - stylish BMX bikes for the street or the track. The models include the So Cal Flyer 24, Ripper, and Lil Ripper 16.
• Dirt / Street / Park - this is the range from SE Bikes that is built for all types of spills, jumps and thrills. Models include the Gaudium, Mauler, Hoodrich and Everyday.
• Retro - cool, retro styled BMX bikes with old-school looks and modern performance. Most are much bigger than standard BMX bikes, though, with 24-inch, 26-inch and even 29-inch wheel options.
• Urban - a range of bikes designed for city, urban and commuter riding. It includes fixed gear, single-speed, three-speed, seven-speed, and 24-speed options.
• Beach Cruiser - classically designed beach cruiser bikes with a laid-back style. There are options for men and women, including those with a low step-through.
• Kids – 12-, 16- and 20-inch bikes for children
• Fitness - a range of attractive bikes built for speed and comfort. The models include the Monterey and the Palisade.
• Mountain - an impressive range of hardtail mountain bikes that includes fatbikes and 29ers. Most of SE Bikes’ mountain bikes are sold under the Big Mountain model name.
In addition to its range of bikes, SE Bikes also supplies frames, parts and apparel.
SE Bikes sponsors a number of riders who compete in BMX racing and freestyle events. This includes Javier Colombo and Todd Lyons on the racing team and Kris Fox, Pat Laughlin and Larry Edgar on the freestyle team. SE Bikes also supports a number of racers in other countries who compete in competitions outside the US.